So all the kudos for this amazing recipe go to my amazing mother-in-law, Nancy. I was never one to really enjoy spaghetti personally, until she introduced me to this sauce. It is full of flavor, so filling, and DELISH! So let’s get started!
What You Need:
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 (8 oz.) small cans of tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) small can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- A bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram (optional)
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 4 cups cooked spaghetti, drained
What To Do:
- Cook and stir hamburger, onion, green onion and garlic in large skillet until hamburger is light brown; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except spaghetti.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Take off heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve over hot spaghetti and top with shredded Parmesan, if you desire.
No more Prego or bottled red sauce for this family!
I hope you enjoy this spaghetti sauce as much as my family does! And bonus… spaghetti is ALWAYS just as good (if not better, according to my husband) the next day!
So eat up!